How to Play Blackjack like a Pro
Learning how to play blackjack can be quite tricky if you’re not familiar with the game. However, you’ve come to the right place to learn how to play the game like a pro.
Follow our step by step guide below, and you’ll be confidently betting, calling, folding, or standing in no time. Of course, there are plenty more tricks up our sleeves, so read the guide to start making money on blackjack.
Before we begin, let’s break down the basic rules of blackjack games you need to know:
- To win, you have to get as close as possible to 21 without going over.
- Any game must be played with a single deck of cards.
- If the dealer has an ace on the dealer up card, they must follow the table rules.
- Every card is dealt from a shoe with the shuffled numbers of decks.
- Splitting aces must be allowed when a card is dealt.
- To beat the dealer, you must get a better hand with two draw cards.
Best Blackjack Sites
How to Play Blackjack – Step by Step
When it comes to playing blackjack at top casinos, you’ll need to understand the rules of the game. Depending on the version of blackjack, these rules will be straightforward. Practice playing in free play mode before getting into real money games to learn the house edge and rules. Because this will save you money and frustration in the long run.
Then, follow these steps to beat the dealer and get close to 21 first:
- Decide how much you want your original bet to be at the beginning of the round. There will be a selection of chips in different denominations on your screen. Depending on the game mode and the software provider, chips range from $1 to $100. You can click on the number of chips you want to bet, but we recommend starting small.
- When you’re happy with your bet, click on the ‘deal button.’ Then, you’ll be dealt two cards face up (or one down) from the dealer.
- Unless you get ‘Blackjack’ with your first two cards, you will now have the choice to hit or stand. A hit means that you will receive another card. If you choose to stand, it means you’re happy with your cards and won’t take another.
- Now it’s the dealer’s turn to show their cards if you didn’t get 21. Then, if the dealer hasn’t busted, they can decide to hit or stand if they have an ace or a soft 17. At this point, you or the dealer might win and receive the cash.
- At the start of a new round, you’ll be able to repeat your bet by clicking the ‘repeat bet’ button. This will place the same bet as the last round. Or you can place a different bet and click ‘deal’ once again.
Types of Bets and Moves
Blackjack is also known as ’21’ which is also the perfect hand in the game. Players need to reach a hand of 21 or lower to win. The player with the hand value closest to 21 will win.
- Hit – when a player or the dealer decides to take another card.
- Stand – when you do not want to exceed 21, you can decide to stand and not take another card.
- Face card – picture cards such as a King, Queen, or Jack.
- Natural/Blackjack – this is a hand that is automatically equal to 21 and will win the round instantly.
- Double Down – you can choose to double your bet and take an additional card. We advise this move only if you are confident that you’ll win.
- Bankroll – a casino term for the money you use while playing.
- Surrender – surrendering in some versions of blackjack can return half your bet.
- Soft hand – a hand with an Ace and one other card, because Ace card can either hold the value of a one or an 11.
More Blackjack Tips
- Advantage Play Blackjack
- Atlantic City Blackjack
- Classic Blackjack
- Live Blackjack
- Mobile Blackjack
- Betting Systems
How to Play Blackjack: Basic Strategy
While you’re learning to play blackjack, you’ll probably come across the same advice: get a basic strategy. Depending on where you play and which games you play, though, a strategy will have to be flexible. Moreover, it’s better to avoid the “win money every time” or “count cards” tactics at casinos these days.
These types of strategies can get you into trouble, be it financial or legal because they’re not meant to work. So, stick to a simple tactic, and keep your bets low while you’re playing to keep your side clean.