How to Play Roulette Like a Pro
Want to find out how to play roulette like a pro and win money with almost every spin? Sit back and relax while we take you through how to play the game online and beyond like a pro.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the table, bets, and general rules of the game. So, how is roulette played? Read on to find tips on how to play roulette for beginners.
Below are some quick steps to playing any version of online Roulette from any software provider. Software providers will have different interfaces, but the aim and rules of the game will be the same. Use these steps while you’re learning how to play Roulette, or just for a quick brush up.
Top Roulette Casinos
- Choose your game. Choose the version of roulette you’d like to play from the selection of game titles at an online casino. While still learning, we recommend playing European roulette. If you’re unsure, try free play games.
- Choose a table stake. In almost every game of roulette, there will be the option to place bets. Here you can decide how much you want to wager on the roulette table.
- Place your bets. You have to place a bet before starting a round of roulette. Check out the different bets further down our guide.
- Check your bets with these factors in mind for before you start playing:
- Split bets – bets placed on a column or group of numbers will be placed on the line between them.
- Outside bets – these require smaller chips, and will need to be placed on a specific area on the roulette table.
- Max bets – since some casinos limit how much you can wager on certain bets, always check that you are under the limit. Winning bets and losing bets all depend on the table limits, so be careful.
- Spin the wheel to win when you’re happy with your bet, you can click the ‘spin’ button. Wait for the ball to drop into the wheel, and then land in a pocket. You will know straight away once you’ve won a bet.
- Claim your winnings. Before starting a new round, make sure you claim your winnings. While some games do this automatically, you still need to check how much you’ve won.
- Clear your bet or place the same wager. When you start a new round, you can either place the same bets by clicking the ‘same bet’ button or place a new bet manually.
Everyone has played Roulette at least once in their lifetime. The casino classic is one of the most popular games in land-based and online casinos. As one of the few well-documented games we know of, it’s also easy to see why so many people have enjoyed it over the years.
Playing Roulette is pretty simple, once you know how to get around the table. The wheel is controlled by the dealer (or croupier) who releases the small metallic ball into the edge. The ball will spin around the wheel and will land in a pocket once it stops.
Depending on the version of Roulette, the pockets will be placed differently. Three main versions of Roulette are played universally, and they are:
- American Roulette – also known as North American Roulette
- European Roulette – the most popularly played variant
- French Roulette – considered the best version but it is rare
Many online casinos offer European Roulette and American Roulette to players. However, if you’re new to the game, we recommend starting with European Roulette. The single zero pocket gives players a lower house edge than its American version. European Roulette has 36 pockets on the wheel, while the American variant has 37.
Strategies for online Roulette vary, but there are some that can be applied to almost any stake or version of the casino game. Inside bets are placed on the Roulette wheel numbers on the table. These will include bets on a single number or a group of numbers. Placing bets on a single number is inadvisable for beginners, as these have a 35 or 36 to 1 chance of happening.
Outside bets are placed on things like the ball landing on a red pocket or a black pocket. players can also bet on the ball landing on a number between one and 18, or 19 to 36. Other bets can be placed on a high or low number or a column of numbers.
While still new to the game, Outside Bets will be a better strategy. As a result, gamblers can bet on all of the above outcomes, or on one or two.
Many casinos will limit how much you can put on certain bets, such as zero. We recommend placing outside bets while you’re learning to minimise your losses. However, there is no limit to how many bets you can place in online roulette as long as they fall under the table limit.
What is the best bet in roulette? There are many bets to choose from for players while enjoying online Roulette. We’ve listed all the possible bets for Roulette fans below for your convenience. So if you’re practising, or new to the game, we advise reading through these bets before you play.
But first, depending on the game versions, you can choose to play one of the following ‘stake’ tables:
- Low roller – your minimum and maximum bets will be around 10c to $5 in this variant, and the max bet you can place will be $50.
- Standard stake – this is the standard roulette table, with chips starting from $1 to $100. The table limit will typically equal to $500, and will be the max bet you can place.
- High Stakes – these stakes are the highest chips value, starting from$10 to $1000. The table limit for this stake will be roughly$5000 for maximum bets.
Roulette Inside Bets
Any bets placed on the numbers of the Roulette wheel on the table are known as Inside Bets. These have the highest stakes; so they will pay out more than Outside Bets. However, we recommend placing multiple bets because they don’t pay out as often as you’d think. With that in mind, check out the following type of bets for a winning number:
- Corner Bet – when you place a bet on four numbers, with odds of eight to one. Chips are placed on the intersection of ‘corner’ of the numbers.
- Five Line – placing a bet on the numbers 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3 in American Roulette. Also, players’ chips will be put in the middle of these numbers.
- Row 00 – betting on 0 and 00 in American Roulette will pay out 17 to one. You should be aware that this bet rarely pays out.
- Six Line – betting on six numbers, which pays out 5 to 1 over two lines or a single row bet on the table. Depending on other bets, the chips will be placed in the middle or near the lines.
- Split Bet – betting on any two numbers with chances of a payout of 17 to one.
- Straight Up – placing a wager on one number with odds of 35 to one, but this hardly pays out.
- Street Bet – wagering on three numbers at the odds of 11 to one. Chips will be placed anywhere on the three numbers.
Best Roulette Outside Bets
On the Roulette table, any bets placed around the wheel numbers are outside bets. These bets are typically for a column of numbers or a certain colour. Wagers here will have lower odds than Inside Bets, but will payout more often.
As we’ve said before, we advise that new players start with Outside Bets while learning the game. Playing for free will also give you a feel for the game without using your bankroll.
- Low – betting that the ball will settle in a pocket numbered between one and 18.
- High – betting that the ball will land on any pocket from 19 to 36.
- Colour Bet (Red or Black) – predicting that the ball will settle on red numbers or black numbers, regardless of number.
- Column Bets – placing a bet on a column of 12 numbers with odds of two to one
- High or Low – betting that the ball will fall into a high or low number pocket, also with odds of winning at two to one.
- Number Bet – predicting that the ball will settle in a pocket with an odd or even number. This pays out one to one for players.
Once you’ve mastered the basics of online Roulette, you’ll soon be winning big on a real money bet. As always, we advise smaller bets and keeping an eye on how much time you spend playing. Roulette can be a lot of fun for gamblers, but we recommend walking away once you’ve reached your goal amount.
If you’d like to know more about a roulette game, visit our online Roulette page. Use our roulette strategy tips at land-based casinos and surprise your friends with your knowledge. Or, try one of these roulette casino tables for free!