How to Play French Roulette
Many online roulette players are probably familiar with the European or American versions of the game. But French roulette is the original since it was invented by Blaise Pascal in the 19th century. While Pascal never intended to create a casino game, his perpetual motion wheel is what we still use to play the game.
In this variant, the house edge is lower (1.35%), and you have two unique rules to take advantage of. If you want to know how to win big, then have we got the guide for you.
In this guide, we’ll focus on the following key aspects:
- Your betting options, odds, and payouts;
- The rules of the game;
- How to beat the French roulette table;
- What the French roulette wheel looks like;
- And the best strategies to get more money from winning numbers.
Best French Roulette Websites
How to Play French Roulette
Playing French Roulette is just like playing the European variant, with one big difference. This difference is known as La Partage, which is a return bet on even-money outside bets. Outside bets can be placed on the ball landing on a red/ black pocket, an even/odd number, or a low/high number.
Should the ball land on zero, half of these bets will be paid back to the player. This is why French roulette is such a popular game at casinos.
A step-by-step guide to French Roulette
- Register at an online casino or log into your account.
- Choose French Roulette from the game titles.
- Choose your table stake.
- Place the bets you’d like on the table.
- Spin the wheel and collect your winnings.
- Re-spin if you want to keep playing.
Odds, Payouts, and Types of Bets
|Bet Type||Winning Number||Payout||Odds|
|Straight up||Any single number||35:1||36:1|
|Split||any two adjoining numbers||17:1||17.5:1|
|Street||any three numbers horizontal||11:1||11.333:1|
|Corner||any four numbers in a block||8:1||8.251|
|Topline or Basket (US)||0, 00, 1, 2, 3||6:1|
|Topline or Basket (European)||0, 1, 2, 3||8:1||8.251|
|Six line bets||any six numbers from two horizontal rows||5:1||5.1671|
|1st column||1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31, 34||2:1||2.0831|
|2nd column||2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 26, 29, 32, 35||2:1||2.0831|
|3rd column||3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30, 33, 36||2:1||2.0831|
|1st dozen||1 through 12||2:1||2.0831|
|2nd dozen||13 through 24||2:1||2.0831|
|3rd dozen||25 through 36||2:1||2.0831|
|Odd||1, 3, 5, …, 35||1:1||1.0561|
|Even||2, 4, 6, …, 36||1:1||1.0561|
|Red||1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 30, 32, 34, 36||1:1||1.0561|
|Black||2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 29, 31, 33, 35||1:1||1.0561|
|19 to 36||–||1:1||1.0561|
Tips and Tricks
Now that you know how to play this exciting variant, we’ve put together some tips to optimise your bets. Remember that these are only suggestions for casino players from the team at NZ Casinos.
- Learn to play in free mode before trying to win real money.
- Make the most of the La Partage rule by placing even money bets.
- Watch your bankroll and ensure that you are comfortable with the betting amounts.
- Find a safe, reputable online casino to play at from our list of recommended casinos.
- Take advantage of casino bonuses and promotions to add to your gaming experience.