How to Play 5 Card Draw Poker
Online 5 card draw poker is still one of the most popular poker variations, despite games such as Texas Holdem Seven-card Stud being more dominant card games in New Zealand. Five-card draw is a straightforward game and the aim is to make the best five-card hand possible.
Whether you are a rookie gambler or an experienced gambler looking to brush up on their skills, our guide on how to play 5 card draw at top NZ casinos online has got something for you.
Leading Poker sites in New Zealand
Five-card draw poker can be played using two methods: the ante and the blind. This is how each version works:
- The Ante version requires all players to pay asset amount of New Zealand dollars before any of the cards are dealt.
- When playing using the blind, only the two players to the left of the dealer will pay before the cards are dealt. The player on the dealer’s immediate left will pay a small blind while the player on the left of the small blind will pay the bigger blind. The blind can be set to any amount, but typically the small blind is half of the bigger blind.
The rules for playing five-card draw poker are as simple as the gameplay.
- A 52-card deck is used to play the card game.
- Each player will get five cards.
- The game is played in three phases: deal, draw and showdown.
- Should there be more cards required in the draw, cards will be reshuffled, and the game will continue using the new deck.
- Players can either fold, call or raise.
- The game uses the standard poker rankings to determine the winner.
The draw takes place after the first round of betting. Each player will be dealt five cards face down. The round begins with the player on the dealer’s left. Each player has an opportunity to call the current bet, fold or raise.
The draw commences after the first round is complete. All the players that are still in hand will get an option to discard any of the cards they aren’t happy with and draw new cards. To draw new cards while playing online 5 card draw, players simply have to click on the cards when it is their turn to play. Should you wish to keep all your cards, you can “stand pat.”
The final betting round will take place after the draw. The betting will begin with the player on the left of the button. The showdown is where the best hand is determined. The player that created the best five-card hand will win the pot. Should there be a tie, the pot will be split equally between the tied players.
The best way to win 5 card draw poker is to use a basic strategy. Here are some great strategy tips to help you improve your odds and place you one step ahead of the other players at the table.
- Position is important. Five-card draw poker requires players to bet one after the other. It is essential to find a position that gives you the best information about your opponents’ hands.
- Play tight. Raising hands which have aces and king is an excellent idea in early positions. As your position in the game improves, you can start raising pairs.
- Know which cards to discard in the draw. Take the standard poker rankings into consideration when discarding cards. For example, if you hold three of a kind, it is best only to draw two new cards.
- Don’t play too many hands. Unlike in other poker games, playing more than two hands is not advisable.
- Pay attention to your opponent’s hand. To help you keep track of outs, players should try to remember the folds.
Trying to find a strategy that will guarantee a win at all times may be difficult. One of the best strategy tips is to know the basic rules of the poker game as well as the hand rankings.